Sunday, October 19, 2014

Missionary work is hard, but spiritual

Letter # 55
Sept. 15, 2014
Area: Broadway- Central 2
Companion: Heath (newly entered the mission field in Houston)

Hey, it's nice to actually get an email this week :D :P I was wondering all week whether or not Angie had the baby... I guess she did, so now I have a second niece that I need to meet when I get home... I just wonder how many more there are going to be because everyone is getting settled in to different homes that are more permanent than before... And Carolyn, you need to wait until I get home to have your first because when I eventually get married, my kids are going to be like 10 years younger than their cousins.... :P

This week has been rough for our area.  For whatever reason, we had a hard time getting in contact with people the whole week. We started it off well though--on Monday, we had the opportunity to go and contact a referral, named Cesar Cuervo, that we got from the church headquarters, it was from a member. We went and knocked on the door and Elvia, Cesar's wife, answered the door. She let us in and called Cesar, who wasn't home that evening, but is really excited to meet with us.  We just started talking with Elvia and it turns out that she has been reading the Book of Mormon that his member friend gave him!  She was also really interested in the message we, as missionaries, bring. We ended up teaching her about the restoration of the church and the Book of Mormon.  We had her pray at the end of the lesson to know if what we taught was true, as well as what she's been reading in the Book of Mormon is also true. She accepted our invitation to pray, and she felt the spirit very strongly.  God had/has prepared her, so when when we taught with the spirit, her spirit felt God's love and desire for her to learn more of His truth. It turns out that they have 6 kids; 24, 23, 16, 10, 8, and 6. I really can't wait to teach them again. We have a lesson scheduled at 5pm today, so we are ending P-day a little early to teach them with a member! I am so excited and I am determined to hopefully see the fruits of my labors (and possible see the baptism of members of this family).

Sadly the rest of the week didn't work out like that, it was a struggle. We were in 'finding' mode this week,  and we were planning/trying to have meaningful lessons with the people we are currently teaching.  Yet those plans fell through since many of the people that we are teaching haven't been able to meet with us.  I have found that people are much more busier now that school has started, so they weren't home or wouldn't be home for the lessons we would set up with them.
Answers to questions that mom had:
1) We did the normal P-day stuff on Labor day, there were just a bunch of members that went to the church, so that was fun, but annoying at the same time.

2) We still have 1 hour of personal study, 1hr companionship time, 1hr language, and now we have 1 hour of study added to our day in which we study the lessons and the basics of being a missionary.

3) My companion is an 18 year-old, he played trombone, loves older music

4) Working in this area is still a little harder, but we have been trying to find new people and think of ways we can serve/work with members to get referrals

5) Well, I don't really like telling you those things (unusual happenings) because I know you will freak out... but if you insist, this last week I kinda got hit by a car, and I got my first migraine on my mission. The car didn't have a turn signal on and they started out going straight, so I started going straight to go around them to turn left, but then they suddenly turned and hit my front wheel. I saw what was happening and I was already off my bike when it happened because that was all I could do, but I left without a scrape and nothing was messed up on my bike. And the migraine-- I started to get a migraine when we were in our apartment one morning, and I noticed it when I started having a headache and the sensitivity to light, so I went and got the medicine in me, and then laid down.  I was fine in like 30 minutes.

6) the weather--Did I tell you that we almost got hit by lightning one lesson? We just got freaked out because we were outside under a covering, then lightning struck right above us.... Other than that, it hasn't changed much for us, it is starting to get a little colder.

7) My readings include: the Book of Mormon, Preach my Gospel, and talks for missionaries

I love you guys,
Elder Stanley Scott Dye

No comments:

Post a Comment