Monday, April 21, 2014

Helping others to feel the Savior's love in their lives

Letter # 32
March 31, 2014
Area: Humble, Tx
Companion: Owens

So it sounds like all of you had a great week this week, and I am glad to say that we did too! We had a ton of miracles in our area again, and I love serving here. By far, there was one miracle that stuck out from the rest, and it happened on Friday.
On Friday, we were trying some people, but nobody was home, and it was about 8pm, so we parked the car and tried to think of what we could do... While we were thinking, I pulled out my planner to see which potential we could try at that time. I saw a couple of name referrals that live in a trailer park, and instantly I thought of a guy named Javier that lives there too.  We had found him a few weeks ago, but we couldn't ever find him again because he has no set schedule at work and he doesn't have a phone. I said that we should try him, so we drove over and he was actually home! When we knocked at his door, he seemed excited to see us and invited us in to his home (which was only 1 room that was 1/3 of the trailer..). We started talking to him about the restoration and while we were talking about something, he opened up to us and he told us how he is addicted to drugs and he lost his family and how a ton of crap has happened in his life. He told us about how he has tried to quit and tried to change his life so many times, and before he had been on his way to church for the first time in a while, and he met a really good-looking girl on the way in and instead of going in, they went away and lived together for 2 years...she had drug problems too, so it didn't help him at all. When we ran into him, the first time, he said it was God sending him a way out, and this time we came right before he was about to leave to use someone's phone to call a guy for more drugs. I feel like God told me that we needed to go there to help prevent him from doing that, and to help him feel His love. I felt prompted to ask him if he wanted to change and that I believe that we were sent to free him from his trap of drugs. When I invited him to be baptized, he accepted while nearly being in tears for like the 2nd or 3rd time that lesson.

It is incredible how God prepares people for us and how he prepares the way for them to change and grow! Javier told us that this Sunday was most-likely going to be one of the last Sundays he will have to work! :D

One of the saddest happenings this week was also on Friday, when one of our investigators, Miguel, told us that he got an answer from God that he should tell us that we should take our time to teach people who will change... Indicating that he wasn't ready to do what we asked. He told us that he was going to keep reading and praying, and maybe someday we will get a call from him saying he's ready or we'll see him at church... At first I felt like the missionaries from the district video, when their investigator, Jinx, said basically the same things, and before leaving, I asked Miguel if he felt like he did everything that he could to get an answer, and when he said he did, I told him that everything we invite him to do is to help him and that the one thing he hasn't done is attending church. I promised him that if he would come to church and pray to know the truth, he would get his answer there, but he told me that he wasn't going to come this week and that we might see him there sometime... He just wasn't willing to see that there was more to do.

Even though this week had ups and downs, I felt like it was a great week overall and I could see the Lord's love and blessings each day.

I love you guys,
Elder Stanley Scott Dye

No comments:

Post a Comment