Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ire y hare lo que el Senor ha mandado

Letter #24
February 3, 2014
Area: Broadway 2 East
Companion: Galvez
 
This time I'll do the questions first because I almost forgot to last week...
Yes, I got the package, and thank you.  We have been listening to the talks that you downloaded to the USB drive.  Thank you. We keep pulling up different talks. I am glad there are so many because I enjoy listening to them more than just music because it is something that I can follow along with and it brings the spirit more strongly.
The weather has been crazy over here! One day it will be nice and sunny and get warm enough that you're sweating when you ride the bikes, then other days it is really cold and you don't really want to go outside...


Well, this week really flew by for us here.. We spent most of the time teaching a few people, and helping them progress more. I think I told you last week about how we got one of our investigators to get a baptismal date, but this week we went by and taught him about the 5 steps in the 4th article of faith (the 5th being enduring to the end) and he understood it perfectly again! He even compared baptism to a ticket that Jesus is offering to you. I continued on with that analogy and said the ticket was a trip for him, and his family, to a never-ending paradise with God and Jesus Christ. Elder Galvez asked Oscar (the investigator) when he would accept that ticket if Jesus was offering it to him right now, and Oscar understood completely and answered that he would take it as soon as possible, meaning right now. Oscar is super excited to be baptized and when we invited him again to be baptized the 22nd, he said that he would and that he would to everything he could to do so.

Not only did Oscar accept the invitation to be baptized the 22nd, but we invited the 2 kids of a less-active member of the church, and 2 other investigators we have. We were super excited when all of them accepted our invitation, and they all were willing to prepare for that date. (The only kink we have is the fact that the less-active mom keeps making excuses to not go to church, but we'll try our best)... I am excited to help these 5 people make that baptismal covenant with our Father in Heaven, and I can't wait to go to the church that day and see 5 people that I taught [basically from the beginning, meaning the lesson on the Restoration], enter into the waters of baptism, and start a new life as members of the church!  Seeing them progress and change in ways that you can see in their eyes the desire to live a life that will bring them closer to their Savior and in serving others.

We also saw a lot of miracles happen this week from knocking :) One day we were having a pretty bad day...it was cold, and almost all of our appointments called and cancelled. We contacted a few of the referrals that the English sisters gave us, and then went to the house of Oscar to teach him that lesson that I described above, but we got there a little early, so we were talking through the lesson a little and listening to a talk from the USB. We got a text from Ana, Oscar's wife, and she said that he was working a little late and asked if we could come at 7:30 instead of 6:30... We decided to drive down the road a little farther, and I just kept going a little farther before I stopped. We were just sitting there for about 5-10 minutes listening to the talks, but then I had the feeling that what we were doing was a waste of time and I felt like we should go knocking... I shrugged it off at first and just kept listening to the talk, but the feeling was still there and it was bugging me, so I told Elder Galvez, "Let's knock a little bit, we've got about 50 minutes", to which he responded "It's cold, I don't want to go...". I told him to come out and knock and I turned off the car in the middle of the talk that he was really interested in, and he got kinda mad and said that he was listening to it. I just said that I was too and I got out of the car. He was being a little spiteful for me making us go knock and he told me that I had to lead us to where we were going to knock because I wanted to go so bad. I had no idea where to go, so I prayed and asked to be led to those who were ready to hear the gospel. I felt the need to knock on this one door off to our left, so I went over and we knocked it, and Elder Galvez still being spiteful, told me that this one was mine to contact. So I started talking to the person and she said she was a little busy, so we got her name and address and said we would come back another day in the afternoon. We went farther down the street and I felt like I wanted to knock another door, but I wasn't sure if it was just me wanting to, or if it was the Holy Ghost telling me to, so I thought to myself "What's the worst that could happen?" and knocked it. It was kinda awkward at first, but then the person invited us in because it was cold outside. We taught her about God and His love for us and how the gospel can bless families, then we ran out of time, so we had to go... But I know those feelings I had were from the Spirit because it got us 2 new investigators who are pretty interested and they were fun and reminded me of you guys.
We went back to that first house one of the next days and found out that the lady is from Mexico, but used to live in "the valley", which is this supposedly really cool place in southern Texas, and she used to meet with missionaries there, but then she moved here. We asked her how she felt about the missionaries visiting her and what they taught, and she said she was fine with everything. So, we asked her if she was willing to have us come back and visit her. She said we could and gave us her phone number to see if she is home and she told us the best times to go visit her.

The saddest part of the week was when we got the call on Saturday saying that I, once again, am getting transferred.... I really wanted to go through the rest of the lessons with the people we have baptismal dates for, but I guess the Lord says my work here is done and He needs me in a different area. I am glad that I at least get to come back to see the baptisms of these people I helped teach this transfer. I am glad to say "I will go and do the things the Lord commands" (or in spanish "Ire y hare lo que el Senor ha mandado"). I don't know where I'm going to go, but wherever it is, I will work my best.

Les amo y me encanta mucho leyendo sobre sus vidas,
Elder Stanley Scott Dye


No comments:

Post a Comment